M-Audio Prokeys 88SX Piano and Midi Controller / Stage Piano (Pre-owned)
M-Audio Prokeys 88SX Piano and Midi Controller / Stage Piano (New Price £289)
M-Audio Prokeys 88SX semi weighted 88 key electronic piano/keyboard. Lighter version of the Prokeys88, this one is unbelievably light and small.
comes with power supply
This is a good quality, lightweight, 88 key keyboard. It only has a a fantastic number of patches.Grand Piano, Upright, 3 Electric pianos, Hammond B3, and Clav. and of course it has reverb, sustain,etc.
The Prokeys 88 isn't designed to be a synth, so there are only 6 sounds on board — but they're well-chosen and sound good.
- 'Piano 1' (Grand Piano): Suitable for everything from the gentlest classical playing through to fairly dynamic jazz, the top end and lower registers of this sound are particularly authentic, and it has been multisampled very well; I couldn't point out where the samples change across the keyboard with any certainty! In the middle range (the most challenging area when sampling a grand piano), there is a slightly artificial character to the sound when it's listened to very critically, but in performance this is more than made up for by the playability.
- 'Piano 2': This is a brighter alternative, as offered by most stage pianos, but it's not so in your face as, say, a Roland. It nevertheless works extremely well layered with the Prokeys' string or pad sounds, and I found myself using it most of the time, as it suffers less from the artificiality in the mid range I noticed in the first sound. When played gently, it has the sweetness you need for classical pieces, but it can really accentuate the dramatic when you suddenly dig in.
- 'E Piano 1': Clearly a Rhodes (although they are careful not to say so on the front panel or in the manual) and at the more pleasant, tinkly end of the Rhodes range.
- 'E Piano 2': Now this is more like it. Referred to in one of the manual's hints as a Wurly, it has all the growl and bite of the Wurlitzer when you really dig in, whilst being gentle and inoffensive when you just tickle it. Very expressive indeed.
- FM Piano: sounds like the electric piano generated by the Yamaha DX7
- 'Clav': Instantly recognisable as such (many attempts are not). this is perfectly serviceable for the odd funk number in the set.
- 'Organ': Very serviceable Hammond B3 clone once the chorus is switched in and can provide a very passable Leslie rotary cab effect.
This keyboard has been used for piano lessons in our music studio
Please note the 88SX doesn’t include speakers
Pocklington Music is East Yorkshires Premier music store
Nominated for Family Business of the Year 2017
- Shortlisted for Music Industries Association best small retailer 2015